The town historical centre, founded in 1627 by baron Lucio Colonna, has the typical squared map of the Sicilian agricultural villages founded between the 16th and 17th century.
The name Floridia could come from Latin Florum Dea or Florum Diva.
But it’s more probable it’s the translation of the Greek word Xiuriddia or Xiridia, meaning “song in honour of the goddess Flora”.
In fact, in the first years of the foundation, the town was dedicated really to St. Flora, a cult in the following years replaced with that of Madonna and afterwards with the Ascension ceremony, today still the main religious party of the town.
Linked to the Ascension ceremony, the very passion for horses: in Floridia there is in May a great racing silk. The town heart, centre of flourishing commerce, is Popolo square, on whom arises the 18th century mother church, from the baroque convex front, slender in the centre on two orders surmounted by a watch put during the 19th century.
On the square there is also the town hall, finished in 1854.
At number 4 in Roma street a sign shows “the first house of Floridia”, 1627, currently hosting a private club. And, on Roma street, passed Vittorio Emanuele course, there’s the church of St Anne, of the first half of 18th century; in Marconi square there is the Carmine church, built in 17th century and widened in 1815.
The front, re-made in 1923, is characterized by a series of niches with statues of saints and a Madonna.
“Archivio A.P.T. Siracusa”
Chiesa Madre (Foto: E. Zinna)
Panoramica (Foto: E. Zinna)