As for other centres of south eastern Sicily, after the terrible earthquake on 9th and 11th January 1693, the inhabitants of ancient Leontinoi, destroyed by the earthquake, rebuilt the town in St Mauro Valley, on the last stips of Iblei Mountains.
So, the historical centre of Lentini has a 18th century aspect. In Dante square, the church of Very St Trinity and St Mareiano, with the Monastery of St Claire nuns.
In the nearby the church of the Fountain, called after a Romanic saint-water box decorated with allegoric figures.
In the cathedral, dedicated to St Alfio, town patron with his brothers Filadelfo and Cirino, there is the hypogeus of the 3rd century A.D., with the presumed spoils of the three martyrs.
“Archive A.P.T. Syracuse”
Chiesa Madre (Foto: E. Zinna)
Arance (Foto: A. Maiorca)
Zagara (Foto: E. Zinna)